All About Oare

Oare is a small village in Wiltshire, England, located on the A345 between Marlborough and Pewsey in the heart of the County.

The village is within the parish of Huish with Oare and lies within the Devizes Parliamentary Constituency

On the Northern edge of the village is Rainscombe Park, located in the valley between Oare Hill and Martinsell Hill, the annual location for the Wiltshire Steam and Vintage Rally (traditionally held in June)

Oare House on the Western edge of the village opens its gardens twice annually through the NGS scheme. The house, built in c.1740, was largely remodeled in the early 1920s by Portmeirion architect Clough Williams Ellis and is also famed for its I. M. Pei designed Summer house (architect of the Louvre Pyramids in Paris).

The area is also popular with walkers particularly those visiting Martinsell Hill and the surrounding countryside.

The village has a Church, Primary School and Village Hall and benefits from a regular bus service connecting Oare with Marlborough and Swindon to the north and Pewsey and Salisbury to the south (see latest bus timetable).

View from Oare Hill






21 Nov, 2015 | Admin |

PanOareAma - a pictorial history of Oare & District - on sale for just 10

PanOareAma book only 10

A3 in size with over 100 pages, this unique publication features:

- the famous Millennium photo of all the villagers, with full legend, taken at Oare House.
- the Millennial Survey - a complete written history of Oare and the surrounding area.
- a collection of fabulous old photographs of local characters, buildings and farming life.
- photographic portraits of the people who lived in and around Oare at the turn of the 21st century.

PanOareAma, the original Millennium tome, is priced at just 10. All profits from the sale of the book go to the upkeep of Oare Village Hall and other local causes.

Buy your copy

PanOareAma is on sale at The White Hart pub in Oare and at Martin's Newsagents in Pewsey.

Or to order a copy directly, please email Bob King on bob.king@fireflyuk.net or the Village Hall Committee on oare.wilts.events@gmail.com.

--------------------------

Some sample pages from PanOareAma

The Millennium Photo and legend - see who's who

Group Photo

Group Photo Legend

--------------------------

Read Robin Theobald's fascinating Millennial Survey of Oare accompanied by historic photographs of the village and surrounding area

Survey

--------------------------

Photos of early-mid 20th century farming in Huish

Old Photos

--------------------------

150 colour photos of the villagers and their homes

People Homes 1

--------------------------

School photos, committees and other local organizations

Committees

School

--------------------------

PanOareAma retails for just 10 for the A3 paperback version (other bindings are also be available).

Copies are on sale at The White Hart pub in Oare and at Martin's Newsagents in Pewsey.

Or to order a copy directly, please email Bob King on bob.king@fireflyuk.net or the Village Hall Committee on oare.wilts.events@gmail.com
.








20 Nov, 2013 | Admin |

Holy Trinity, Oare and St. Nicholas, Huish

Forthcoming Services

Holy Trinity, Oare

Oare Church

The church was built in 1856/58 through the efforts of Mrs Goodman, widow of Reverend Maurice Hillier Goodman in his memory. He was the owner of Oare House and Vicar of Wilcot for many years and had wanted to establish a church in Oare as he felt it was a hardship for the elderly and children to have to walk to Huish or Wilcot for a service.

The church is built of brick of several colours in the Romanesque style, round-arched with an apse. It was originally a Chapel-of-Ease to Wilcot church.

In 1922 the Benefice of Huish-with-Oare was created and in 1951 the Vicar of Wilcot became Rector of Huish and Oare.

St. Nicholas, Huish

Next Service

Huish Church

The church is 13th century in origin and is closely linked with Wilcot and Oare. It was probably neglected in the 16th century and was refurbished in 1609. In 1672 it fell into disrepair and needed complete rebuilding in 1751.

The present church is shorter and dates from 1785.

Archaeological work has exposed an aisle chapel and other parts of the original building.







17 May, 2011 | Admin |

The White Hart, Oare

White Hart

Your Hosts Ray & Barbara Cook 01672 562273

Ray & Barbara Cook







17 Jun, 2010 | Admin |



© oare-wilts.co.uk 2009